Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Ying Ying drama rages

PENANG: A school play purportedly based on the life of three-year-old murder victim Shearwel Ooi Ying Ying has left the girl’s mother and grandparents outraged.
Ying Ying’s mother, Jess Teh Hooi Wen, 29, said she was very upset by the ending which depicted her burning in Hell.
“One of the scenes even depicted the ghost of my daughter accusing me of being a bad mother who had failed to take good care of her,” said Teh.
The play won a school drama competition on Sunday.
“I do not blame the students but the teacher who came up with the script,” said Teh, adding that she was just starting to get on with her life again.
Ying Ying was believed to have been killed in an apartment in Bandar Baru Air Itam last July 5, burnt and her bone fragments strewn in various part of Air Itam, including a river.
On March 6, the case against Ying Ying’s alleged murderer Ong Chee Leong, 29, was withdrawn after he was found hanged in a prison clinic on Feb 18.
“My parents are slowly getting over Ying Ying’s death but the play has caused them so much hurt.”
Teh is considering taking legal action against the school.
Her father Teh Tatt Beng, 53, asked how the school could pass judgment on his daughter when the case about her lodging a false missing person’s report would only be mentioned next month.
“Jess told me the stage curtains were stuck for 30 minutes before the play started. I feel that Ying Ying must have protested against the play in her own way.
“The drama teacher approached me on Friday to ask my permission to base her play on my granddaughter and I told her no. Still, she went ahead.
“It is not good to use my family’s tragedy as entertainment. I just want to put this episode of my life behind me,” he said.
The school headmaster, who declined to be named, denied that the play was based on any actual incident while the drama teacher could not be reached for comment.

Is this funny? Playing a drama over someone's cruel death? What on earth is happening to people on this earth...

2 comments:

!dA アイダ said...

how can the drama teacher has the heart to do that? using people's grief as drama script...that is so hurtful...pity the girl's family..may the girl's soul rest in peace..

Unknown said...

what the hack happen to the teacher brain?
want to create news for newspaper...
if she is the gal mom wat would she feel...
really sad la...
speechless..................!